Monday, August 26, 2013

What's the grossest thing you ate on your mission?

Lasi, Romania
This week we were able to collect some food to help someone out. It was a great opportunity because there aren't a lot of things we get to do for service in Romania. We also had a member invite us in and give us a meal. It was very sweet. How could we refuse her the blessings of serving? There was mood music and everything. (Enya was playing in the background.) When she pulled out the salad from the refrigerator, I couldn't believe it. It was green! Romanians do not eat a lot of lettuce, or lettuce-like things, let alone salad. Yet, there it was: a delicious... dark green... salad... made with shredded Romaine lettuce.

There were also little strips of some type of meat in it. I examined it trying not to look suspicious, but it did not look like your ordinary muscle meat. "It looks like tongue," I said to myself. I am pretty sure I saw some taste buds. So, not to be impolite, I asked how to make it. She told me all that was in the salad and how to cook .....  PORK TONGUE! Mmm, pork tongue. "It's tender and has to be cooked just right." It was actually fine, and if you didn't know what it was, you wouldn't have blinked an eye at it. But, just let it be known.... I ate pig tongue!




No comments:

Post a Comment