Monday, April 22, 2013

Birthday, Banis and Cake!

BIRTHDAY IN ROMANIA!  I am now 22 years old! Number 21 was pretty good year in my opinion. Most of it was spent as a missionary. I wonder if this year will be even better.

A few of you might wonder what a sister missionary does on her birthday in Timisoara, Romania. Let me elaborate. Talk with people! It is the same thing we do everyday. Everyday I get to share my testimony with people and it's fun to see the creative things they do in response - accept it, distort it, mutilate it, or refute it. Fun stuff. We did meet some nice people on my birthday. I thanked God for that wonderful birthday gift.

There was a marvelous lady who was at the park with her grandson. She was very nice. She had just finished Chemo, her hair was starting to grow back. She was sitting all alone, so I went up and started talking to her. I told her it was my birthday and she wanted to give me money. I thanked her but also said I didn't need any. Somehow, five minutes later I had at least ten 50 bani pieces in my purse. Romanians seem to get you to do things you don't want to do. She told me to go buy some juice. Ha!

We sat in the park reading The Family: A Proclamation to the World. Sometimes, I don't know what good that does. Everyone we have shared it with says it is just a fantasy and not achievable. "No it isn't," I reply, "it is very real and you can have it, too." They never believe us nor want to learn how. It is so sad. One lady was so different.  She said "maybe some people do have families like that and it is a very beautiful thing, but, it doesn't apply to me." She said "families are hard work." Of course they are, I thought, but we shouldn't just accept the fact that they aren't perfect - we should try to improve them. She told me to make sure I marry someone who can give me that and I assured her I would. She said not to hurry but that I might find a husband in Romania. Probably not, since I'm a missionary and I'm not even thinking about that right now. If I 'was' looking and found a Romanian, I still wouldn't be able to communicate with him very well. But, thanks for the advice. I'll just file it away in my brain with the rest of the advice people give me... like put Windex on acne. She was very nice and very funny.

Oh, I also got a call from a member at 7 am and was told to be downstairs at 7:30 because she had a cake for me. IT WAS SO GOOD. The MOST delicious cake I have eaten here in Romania.

Love you like Jesus
Sora Heim

No comments:

Post a Comment